Creating a targeted content strategy ensures you are presenting the right message at the right time and to the right audience. So, you can see its development is pretty important. And, when you develop your content strategy is equally pivotal. Your content strategy comes first, then your editorial plan. When developing your content plan, focus on these six main objectives:
- What are your business goals? When creating a content strategy, work from the top down. You should always know what your goals are and specific ways your content strategy is going to work toward achieving them.
- Who is your target audience? Determine how best to communicate to your prospects – what media and what type of message. Meet them where they are.
- What do you want/need to say to prospects to help you achieve your goals? You need to have something of substance and relevance to say. Stay on strategy always.
- Who in your organization is going to be responsible for creating the message and implementing it?
- How and when will you determine if your message needs to be changed?
- How will you gauge the success of your content strategy? Realize that any content plan, even an excellent one, will take some time before true results are recognized. So, commit to the plan and give it time to work, making adjustments as necessary.
Once your content strategy is established, then you can develop your editorial calendar, determining the specific vehicles for your message and the proper timing for each.
Any tips you’d like to share with us about creating a content strategy?